onsdag 21. januar 2009

Everyday life

I have finally pulled myself together and have started swimming. I went yesterday at the YMCA in East Jerusalem cause I know the manager there and he is really nice, and then I can actually go for free:)
I loved it. I do feel stressed here, it is impossible not to suck in the cultural and political things. And to be able to swim off the stress feels so good.
I am learning a lot about different cultures here both the Palestinian and Israeli culture. So when I went yesterday I quickly learn that women and men swim seperately. From around half past 5 till 7 it's women only, and I couldn't help but feel quite comfertable with that. Especially now that the color of my skin indicates that winter is here I don't feel too confident with my body.

Another thing I discovered was the "dress code". Although nobody had any problems with me nor the other woman swimming in the same area wearing just a swimsuit I observed the swimsuit of some of the other women. There was especially one woman there who was litterally covered from head to toe. She had a swim cap on, a very thin sweater with a neck, leggings down to her ankles, and finally swim fins. Well, if it works for her why not....

Nowadays there is not a lot of work to do really....I am looking forward to February when we have an international group coming for 10 days. We will take them around to show them everything here, and we will be busy with this. It will also be cool to get to know people from different countries. And we will plant olive trees.

And today I finish my post by sharing with you one of the funniest things I saw this week. I saw it on the office wall of one of the guys who works here:
If life throws you stones throw them back!

3 kommentarer: