onsdag 24. september 2008

What have I done the last couple of day?

well...On Friday we had a meeting here at the office. Repesentatives from the delegations in Norway and Sweden came, and we talked about the co-operation between the delegation here and Scandinavia. It escalated into quite an interesting conversation/discussion about what the office here is really trying to do, and what kind of people they want to reach out to. I know that my fellow interns were tired, but I would have to say that I got a lot out of it. As you can see from my previous writings we went to Jerusalem in the afternoon and had a good, and at times stressful, day there. In the evening we had a lovely dinner at a local restaurant her(the grotto)...Like always the food was delicious.

Friday is our day off, and on saturdays we work. However, since we had a meeting on friday, we got Saturday off. Martha and I decided to walk around in Betlehem. We had a coffee and a quick look at the the book shop at the Peace Center. Then we found a marked in the city center, and spent hours looking for shoes, clothes and other things. And we found SKILLINGSBOLLER!!!!!(sweets, bun with sugar and cinemon)

Martha driking coffee at the peace center, Bethlehem


On Sunday we joined the International prayer day where greek orthodox priests, muslim imans and other young christians held prayers in different languages(french, german, spanish, arabic, norwegian, setswana)

prayers in different languages





The greek orthodox priest (I find his "outfit" very interesting. And I mean that in the most positive way)


The muslim iman


Folklore dancers

The evening was spent in our neighbours flat eating and talking.

On Monday it was time for arabic lessons. On our way home there are always local kids playing in the streets.



This evening, our neighbour invited us for dinner(Spagetti). It was really nice, but for me it ended early as I needed to get a good night sleep.



On Tuesday we went to an iftar. September this year is the month of Ramadaan, and muslims are fasting. Every night after the sun has set they can eat and drink. From what I have understood, the first meal after the sunset is called iftar(Correct me if i am wrong). People get together and eat and enjoy each others company. Yesterday the AIC(Alternative Information Center) had organized an iftar where people could come with food and eat together. It was very nice, and the food was good. I also got to meet other internationals working here.







The north european alliance


The local iman had come to talk about ramadaan, and the religious and practical aspects of fasting. "The fasting renews the cells in your body by getting rid of the bad ones and creating good ones"..hm...



The evening was followed by a concert with local music. LOVE IT!A glass of red wine for 1 euro, 8 kroner is not bad either!





3 kommentarer:

  1. Det bildet av Martha der hu drikker kaffe er n y d e l i g.

    SvarSlett
  2. Hey Brigtte,

    Sounds fun, and i think you are really enjoying the food there in Palestine, somehow i see the name food popping in almost every sentence. I am not sure how their food taste but is it spicy, let me know. How is Ofenste

    SvarSlett
  3. heidi-takk:)

    Nelly-Yep I am REALLY enjoying the food, it is very delicious and not so spicy.

    SvarSlett