The first thing we did was to go through a "tunnel"-thing like this one, demonstrated here by Oftense and Martha.
By the end of the tunnel there is a gate/barrier thing...Only one person at a time can pass.
When you pass this you will find yourself at an open place. We had to cross this and go to the next step.
It starts with the same type of gate/barrier
Then a hall/tunnel...
Antother hall/tunnel
And then we came to an airport-alike place...
We had to pass another gate/barrier..We waited a while for the green light....untill somebody told us to go to another one....
We went to the other gate. After we had passed this we had to place our belongings on a "security"-belt for it to be checked and scanned; the kind you find in airports when entering the departure hall(As it is not really allowed to take pictures in here I did not dare to document this or the soldiers in charge of the security-check).
Finally we reached the part where we had to show our passport, and the locals have to show their ID and the papers that show that they are permitted to go to Jerusalem.(This is not a high quality picture either for the same reason as stated above)
After this we took a bus to go to Jerusalem, it takes about 15-20 min depending on the traffic.
And now just some food for thought; Friday is the prayer day for muslims. The most holy place for muslims to go to pray is the Al Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. This month is Ramadaan. Last friday was the last friday of Ramadaan, and an important day to go to pray. Imagine all of these people passing the checkpoint at the same time. Or Christmas for the many christians living in Betlehem. Also many students living in Betlehem go to the Jerusalem Univeristy. They have to do this every morning, probably around the same time as other people from Betlehem go to work in Jerusalem. It can get pretty crowded.
When we came to Jerusalem we went to another famous, but far more pleasant wall; the wailing wall.
As the jews are celebrating the start of a new jewish year a lot of soldiers had gathered at the square.
Speaking about israeli soldiers...I cannot go on without talking a bit about this. They are both loved and hated. Hated by Palestinian civilians crossing the checkpoint, and loved by israeli patriots for protecting their land. I don't really know what goes through the mind of an israeli soldiers during the 3 years(for boys) he has to serve Israel, but personally I am happy about being norwegian and being able to choose other options than to serve 2 years(for girls) in the israeli military. I also know that if you refuse to serve the military you will feel the consequenses for this.
When talking about anti-semitism they should seriously dig deep into themselves first. Found in the jewish quarter. (Click on the picture to enlarge it if the message is not clear)
After walking around in the city, we went to a nice restaurant to eat and drink something. I found the cutest little kitten....
puuuuuuuuuuuus
Chillin....
Those who know me well know that this is not the first time I put on a muslim veil, a hijab. I found for 15 kroners a hijab, and offcourse I had to try it on.
Damaskus gate by night
I also have to talk about the great experiene I had sunday night. Our neighbour had invited us to a footbal match. Since I have never been to a footbal match in my life it I was very exited. And it was GREAT! Haifa were playing against Jerusalem, and since there were Jerusalem supporters around us, and the team was playing home court we knew what team to support.
I am glowing from exitement!
YEAH!
It was GREAT! And strange at the same time. There really are two cultures living here, and they couldn't be further away in every aspect from one and another....
Finally a little observation....guns at fotball matches. Is it really like this when BRANN plays against ROSENBORG?
Kjempeinteressant å lese om checkpointen. Var en skikkelig øyeåpner for meg.
SvarSlettHar vist det til flere jeg kjenner.
Klem, Benedikte
Ja det er ikke akkurat så hyggelig å passere nei.Det er som regel sånn at slike ting ikke kommer frem i media;checkpointene eller den høye muren.
SvarSlett