onsdag 11. mars 2009

Last 2 weeks

Time is passing by very quickly, and I am really trying to make the most out of the time I have left. This is one of the reasons I decided to go to Nazareth last weekend. I started out in Tel Aviv on thursday where I stayed with some friends for the night. I spent the whole day walking around in tel Aviv and Jaffa.

I discovered a really nice area in Jaffa, an urban artist neighbourhood I guess...




I have to say that I havent really found out what is so special about Tel Aviv yet...Tel Avivians love their city, but what really draws my attention is Jaffa. Jaffa is an old, originally arab city, and it is really beautiful. It is located right next to Tel Aviv, but there is no doubt that you will feel the difference. I have been living on the West Bank now for more than half a year, and I do feel "more at home" here than in Tel Aviv.

Jaffa




I could live here....


Scruffy old cat in an old city...


There is however one thing I like about Tel Aviv and that is the beach...It has been there before the city seeing as Tel Aviv is a relatively new city.
And the sunset is amazing....






I had a great night in Tel Aviv, and I learned a bit about the architecture of the city, and other things...I went out with my friends as well, and that was a nice experience. The next day I went with them for breakfast. We went to eat hummus, and it is probably the richest hummus I have ever tasted in my life...It kept me going till dinner time, many hours later...

In the afternoon I took the bus to Nazareth, my destination for the weekend...Nazareth is located within Israeli borders, but there are mostly arab Israelis living here, both christian and muslim arabs.

I had made a resarvation at a very nice youth hostel in Nazareth, a recently renovated arab house in the old city.
http://www.fauziazarinn.com/



It is definetely the best hostel I have ever stayed at, and I can still not understand how you can have so cheap prices in such a nice place and on top of that feel like home thanks to the staff.
I arrived in the evening, and I was invited by the staff to have dinner with them. After dinner there was a concert for the guests, a musician playing the Oud, the arabic string instrument also famous in Greece. I went to bed shortly after and had a good night sleep.

Seeing as I went to bed quite early I woke up early as well. I was ready to go at nine, and had a nice walk around in the old city of Nazareth. My first stop was by the church of announciation where Mary supposedly was visited by angel Gabriel.





After my spiritual visit I went to a beautiful hill next to the city. It was green and peaceful, and I got to know two guys from Germany there. They were here on a christian trip, a sort of preparation for theology studies. I actually had a very interesting talk with them.



Later that day I decided to reach the top of the old city, and enter the churches there. I finally did, and I could see the view from both sides. I also found a chapel with a piano, and I was rude enough to go into the empty church and start to play. First quietly, but after a while with more passion. Nobody came to hush on me. And seeing as I was in the house of God I am sure he forgave me as well :-)

Nazareh by night


Narrow streets of the old city



In the evening I was invited to come for a candle light procesion at the church. There were already a lot of people there when we arrived, both young and old people from different countries. There were also some people singing, and the whole experience was really nice.











The next day I decided to leave early from Nazareth and just take the bus back to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv. I actually arrived late in Bethlehem, around six, and then I was quite tired. I had a relaxing evening.

That sunday the jewish holiday Purim started. I decided that I would go on monday to some friends and join a purim party there. It was GREAT!!!I had so much fun, and the streets were PACKED with people.I was very happy when I took the bus back the next morning.

Purim

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar