tirsdag 21. oktober 2008

October is coming to its end, and it reminds me that I have been here almost two months already. I have only half a year left, at the same time as it seems like a long time.

Another thing that has finished is Ofentses stay here. He is my south african co-worker, and he had to leave us for certain reasons. It is sad, I miss him here in the office.The day before he left we had a goodbye dinner for him at a restaurant.

Baha and Ofentse


Lina and her husband


The girls from the office


Sometimes I get very tired...


I have written about this before, but I just have to mention the extremely low prices on fruits and vegetables. I got all this for about 35-40 shekels, thats about 60 kroners.


I will also try to make Thai-soup cause I have now found all the ingredients for it:)

Betlehem by night


Demonstration
Another thing that happend during these days was a demonstration. It was supposed to be a peaceful one, but it did not end in one.


Many internationals and locals whom many of them are my friends participated, and many of them filmed or took pictures of the event. Here are some of the photos. The demonstratio was about an area close to where I live where Palestine is planning to build a hospital. Now israeli jews are planning to built an israeli settlement here(A new "neighbourhood" as they call it).

The other day these future settlers came to look at the place and claim it as theirs. The same day many people had shown up to show to react to this, and to show that this is not ok. It really is not ok as this is palestinian land, and settlements like this one are illegal according to the UN. Even Israel recognize to some extend that it is illegal, but it looks the other way.

Anyway, a lot of soldiers had shown up also, with the orders to protect the settlers and to protect the area.


Soldiers...


More soldiers


Soldiers talking to the spokesman of the group.






The group was sent away from the area, and decided to go for a walk around. The soldiers came to stop any further movements.

Then the settlers arrived. The guy talking to the soldier is not a soldier himself, he just likes to protect himself I suppose.

The demonstrators arrived at the other side of the area to see the settlers arrive. The Israeli army made a human shield to push the group back.

Many of the demonstrators moved slowly or refused to move. This heated things up, and about 5-6 soldiers took amerian Andrew and beat him while holding him down. Then they took him with them



They never learned in kindergarden that 5 against one is not fair.

Other people protested, and five more were taken away.They were being held by the soldiers for a couple of hours and then released. For one of the 6 taken away this was not the end of the story. An englishman was arrested and put in prison for attacking one of the soldiers. I did not see this, so I don't know if the soldiers were right. However, witnesses said that he was actually attacked by many soldiers, just like andrew. He will be put before a judge one of these days, and most likely be deported.

Settlers...

A week ago I took a walk to a church/monastery nearby, just outside the checkpoint. It is very a very beautiful place, and the view is quite nice.

Unfortunatly I could not enter the church, but it was still a nice walk.






Next time...

I also went to a pianoconcert this day with a young girl, only one year older than me. She was very talented, and I really enjoyed it.

She is volunteering at the Edward Said music conservatory in Betlehem I think.



On saturday they showed a film on the square in front of the nativity church. They had put up 5 large screens. It was really nice to sit under the stars and see this movie. The film was a result of a cooperation between Palestine and Norway, and the producer was norwegian. They had invited a very famous palestinian author to read Terje Vigen in arabic. It was quite artistic.













This week I have gone to the Dead sea, Jericho and to Jerusalem again to stay the night. (I will try to write about it soon). Today a JAI-program starts so I have a lot to do for the next one and a half week. But I'll be back.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Det er helt forjaevlig at de israelske soldatene faar holde paa som de gjoer. Det her er jo verre enn apartheid..

    Virker som om du opplever veldig mye. Drar hit og dit. :)

    Jeg likte bildet av dromedaren paa veggen..

    SvarSlett
  2. Hehe jeg liker også bildet av dromedaren. Det er den røffeste grafittien i hele Palestina!

    Ja de får holde på som de vil stort sett.

    SvarSlett